Fashion Empowering Women has kicked off it's Summer 2012 Back To School Drive - a donation drive to fulfill 2 local school's wish lists to ensure our students are equipped for a successful new school year.
| WHAT IS THE #BUILDABACKPACK DRIVE? |
The poverty rate in the Metropolitan area is steadily rising, and children are disproportionately affected. Studies show that Prince Georges County has the highest suburban poverty rate with 7% of residents living below the poverty line. The District’s Ward 8, stands at an alarming 35% with an unemployment rate at 25.2%. In Alexandria city, 18% of residents live in poverty.
According to educators, children sometimes go to school without the proper supplies because their parents simply cannot afford it. The #BuildaBackpack Drive will support these families by collecting supplies to ensure student preparedness. We cannot do it without you, will you help FEW's Build a Backpack?
Their success depends on us. Our success depends on you.
| WHY PLAN A BACKPACK DRIVE? |
Sometimes the only difference between an A+ student and a failing student is having basic supplies to do homework and participate in class. Because 80% of the children living in Ward 8 come from family's below the poverty line, after the most basic of needs of the family are met, school supplies may not fit into that budget.
You can help in several ways:
1) Create a drive and collect new school supplies to donate.
2) Make a financial donation and sponsor 1, 2, 3 or even 10 backpacks.
3) Volunteer to help with packing backpacks and delivery.
| HOW YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE? |
Sponsor a #BuildaBackpack:
For only $30, we can purchase a backpack, binder, folders, pencils and pens for one child. Here's how you can put your dollars to work:
(1) $30 -Sponsors 1 Backpack filled with supplies for a #BuildaBackpack child.
(2) $15 - Sponsors 1 Materials (binder, folders, pens and pencils) for a #BuildaBackpack child.
(3) $___ - Make an open donation and contribute to the drive. $6000 will allow us to support 200 Children. Will you Donate a #BuildaBackpack today?
(4) Buy a backpack, fill it with some or all of the items on the WISH LIST (below) and drop it off at one of our convenient locations.
LIST ONE | PRIMARY GRADES K THROUGH 4TH
(1) Backpack (1) Pkg. Colored Pencils (24) (1) Pkg, Crayons (24) (2) Pink chunk Erasers (2) Pkg. #2 pencils (2) Spiral Notebooks (4) Composition Notebooks (1) Pkg. red Pens (5) Folders (1) 3-ring binder (1) Pkg. Highlighters (1) Pencil Case (1) Pkg. Index Cards (1) Ruler (1) Pkg. glue sticks (1) Scotch Tape (1) Pkg. Notebook paper (1) Plastic Compass (1) Dictionary (1) Assignment Notebook
LIST 2 | GRADES 5 THROUGH HIGH SCHOOL
(1) Backpack, large in size (1) Plastic Protractor (1) Plastic Compass (1) Pkg. Colored Pencils (1) Pkg. Pink Chunk Erasers (1) Box #2 pencils (5) Spiral Notebooks (1) Package of pens in multiple colors (red, black, blue) (5) Pocket Folders OR (1) Accordion type (usually plastic) multi pocket folder (1) 3-ring binder (1) White Out (1) Pkg. Highlighters (1) Pencil Case (1) Pkg. Index Cards (1) Ruler (1) Scissors (1) Scotch Tape (2) Pkg. Notebook paper (1) Dictionary appropriate for High School and Upper grades (1) Assignment Notebook (1) 1GB Jump Drive
Calling all businesses and community groups: does your group/company want to run your own Back to School Drive benefiting FEW's Build a Backpack? Just collect supplies and/or monetary donations for a few weeks at your office and deliver them to FEW by August 18th. Questions? Contact Madison McCain at email@example.com.
DROP OFF LOCATIONS (Additional drop off sites will be added as confirmed)
Live in MD? All donations can be dropped off at the following locations: (We are working to identify additional drop off sites in DC and VA)
(1) Center for Arts and Media 610 D Lafayette Avenue Laurel, MD 20707
(2) The Carolina Kitchen 6501 America Blvd Hyattsville, MD 20782 301-927-2929
(3) The Carolina Kitchen 800C Shopper Way Largo, MD 20774 301-350-2929
| THANK YOU TO OUR SPONSORS! (List Updated Daily) |
BACKPACK (filled with supplies) - $30 - Sponsored 1 #BuildaBackpack for 1 child. Sherry Miller, Andrew Davidson, Ashley Monroe, Tiana Payne, Lindsey Seibel, Kendra Moore, Barbara Richards, LaToya Baker, Katherine Kennedy, Denise Lyles, Jason, Kendricks, Omar Moussa, Eshan Phelps, Tenyelle Nnnana, Heather Fields, (Your Name Here.)
BUY SUPPLIES (no backpack) - $15 - Sponsored 1 #BuildaBackpack for 1 child. Erica McCain, Latasha Mills, Cindy Thomas, David Grant, (Your Name Here)
DONATE - open donation - Supports the overall goal to support 200 children. Phillip Moore, Tomi Olebera, Felicia Smith, Chris Macauley, (Your Name Here.)
For more information on how you can get involved with the 2012 Build a Backpack Drive, contact Madison McCain, Community Engagement Specialist at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Use #BuildaBackpack on twitter.
Are you a Public Relations profession who is willing to give pro-bono to support FEW's Build a Backpack from July-September 2012? Contact Madison at email@example.com.
THIS sounds like an awesome cause that I'm ecstatic to share with all my readers! Please donate to this worthy cause :)